It’s tough to tell someone that your adult child or spouse is hurting or neglecting you. It may be nearly impossible for you to believe. But if that is what’s happening, you’re not alone. You see, nearly 2 million Americans ages 65 and older have been injured, exploited, or mistreated by someone they love or depend on for care and protection.
- Do you feel threatened?
- Do family members or caretakers pressure you into doing or giving them what they want by making you feel guilty or through physical force?
- Are your basic needs taken care of? Are you helped with meals and hygiene regularly and on time?
- Are you denied medical care? Do family members or caretakers refuse to take you to doctor’s appointments? Do you have the medicines you need? Are your caretakers using or selling your medications?
- Does anyone consistently ridicule you, what you think, or what you say?
- Do you often feel degraded, put down, or humiliated by a family member or caregiver?
- Are you kept from seeing friends or other family members? Do you often wish someone besides your caregiver would visit you?
- Do you have reason to believe that money or possessions are being stolen from you or that your bank accounts have been taken out of your control?
If someone is abusing you, or if someone you know is being abused, please contact our Helpline. We’ll work with you as you explore your options and you decide what’s best for you. You don’t deserve to live in fear. No one does.