Are you a good listener? Are you comfortable talking on the phone? Do you have a passion for helping others? If you answered yes to these questions, we have a volunteer opportunity that may be perfect for you!
Family Violence Project has an ongoing need for volunteer advocates to answer our 24-Hour Helpline for those affected by domestic violence. As a volunteer advocate on the helpline, you will make a difference in people’s lives by volunteering once a month from the comfort of your home.
Do you worry that you won’t know what to say? Family Violence Project offers free training that prepares you for this volunteer role. Also, a staff member will always assist you by phone while volunteering.
Participants in the training will learn about the complex issue of domestic violence, the Family Violence Project’s staff, services, how to talk with callers, and to create safety plans. Although successful completion of this training is required for this volunteer role, no other experience is necessary.
Family Violence Project’s next volunteer training will be held online via Zoom on the following dates / times:
· Monday, September 13th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Wednesday, September 15th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Monday, September 20th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Wednesday, September 22nd from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Monday, September 27th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Wednesday, September 29th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Monday, October 4th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Wednesday, October 6th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Tuesday, October 12th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Wednesday, October 13th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Monday, October 18th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Wednesday, October 20th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Monday, October 25th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Wednesday, October 27th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
· Monday, November 1st from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
Live attendance at each of the listed online training dates is required for successful completion of the training. If you are interested in participating in this volunteer opportunity, you must be 18 years of age or older, complete a volunteer interview and pass background / reference checks prior to becoming a volunteer. Volunteer interviews must be completed by 4:30pm on Wednesday, September 8th. While the training itself is free of charge, we ask for a $25 donation from those who are financially able to provide it to help cover the cost of background checks. The inability to donate will not prevent a person from participating!
For more information, please contact Jaime at [email protected] or 207-623-8637 x302