Are you a good listener? Are you comfortable talking on the phone? Do you have a passion for helping others? If you answered yes to these questions, we have an opportunity that may be perfect for you!
Family Violence Project has an ongoing need for volunteer advocates to help answer our 24-Hour Helpline for those affected by domestic violence. As a volunteer advocate on the helpline, you will make a difference in people’s lives by volunteering once a month from the comfort of your home. Do you worry that you won’t know what to say? Family Violence Project offers free training to prepare you for this volunteer role. Also, a staff member will always be available to assist you by phone while you are volunteering.
Participants in the training will learn about the complex issue of domestic violence, the staff and services of the Family Violence Project, and how to talk with callers and help them create safety plans. Although successful completion of this training is required for this volunteer role, no other experience is necessary. Family Violence Project’s next volunteer training will be held online via Zoom on the following dates and times:
- Monday, September 28th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, September 30th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Monday, October 5th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 7th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 14th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Monday, October 19th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 21st from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Monday, October 26th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, October 28th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Monday, November 2nd from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, November 4th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Monday, November 9th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Thursday, November 12th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Monday, November 16th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
- Wednesday, November 18th from 5:30 – 8:30 pm
Live attendance at all listed online training dates is required for the successful completion of the training. If you are interested in participating in this volunteer opportunity, you must be age 18 or older, complete a volunteer interview, and pass background and reference checks prior to being accepted.
*Volunteer interviews must be completed by 4:30 pm on Tuesday, September 22, 2020.
While the training itself is free of charge, we ask for a $25 donation from those who are financially able to provide it to help cover the cost of background checks. The inability to donate will not prevent a person from participating in this opportunity! For more information, please contact Jaime at [email protected] or 207-623-8637, ext. 302.