Are you a good listener? Are you comfortable talking on the phone?
Do you have a passion for helping others?
If you answered yes to these questions, I have an opportunity that may be perfect for you!
Family Violence Project has an ongoing need for volunteer advocates to help answer our 24-Hour Helpline for those affected by domestic violence. As a volunteer advocate on the helpline, you will make a difference in people’s lives by volunteering once a month from the comfort of your home. Do you worry that you won’t know what to say? Family Violence Project offers a free training that prepares you for this volunteer role; also, a staff person will always be available to assist you by phone while you are volunteering. Participants in the training will learn about the complex issue of domestic violence, the staff and services of Family Violence Project, and how to talk with callers and help them create safety plans. Although successful completion of this training is required for this volunteer role, no other experience is necessary.
Family Violence Project’s next volunteer training will be held in Augusta on the following dates and times:
- Saturday, April 4th from 8:30am to 3:30pm
- Tuesday, April 7th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Thursday, April 9th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Tuesday, April 14th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Thursday, April 16th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Tuesday, April 21st from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Thursday, April 23rd from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Tuesday, April 28th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Thursday, April 30th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Tuesday, May 5th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Thursday, May 7th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Tuesday, May 12th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Thursday, May 14th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
- Tuesday, May 19th from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
Attendance at all listed training dates is required for successful completion of the training. If you are interested in participating in this volunteer opportunity, you must be 18 years of age or older, complete a volunteer interview and pass background / reference checks prior to being accepted. Volunteer interviews must be completed by 4:30pm on Tuesday, March 31st. While the training itself is free of charge, we ask for a $25 donation from those who are financially able to provide it to help cover the cost of background checks. The inability to donate will not prevent a person from participating in this opportunity!