The Myth: An Abuser ...
- Is "out of control"
- Has a drinking or drug problem
- Has poor anger control
- Is just under stress
- Has low self-esteem
- Was provoked by the victim
The Truth: An Abuser ...
- Chooses who, when and where to abuse
- Who is under the influence continues to make choices about who, when, and where abuse happens
- Is able to control anger on the job, with friends, in court, or when dealing with police
- Chooses to deal with stress through violence
- Does not differ from non-abusers in level of self-esteem
- Is never justified in abusing someone